Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Beginning of The Resalah (Prophetic Call)

When the Prophet PBUH was 40 years old he was at Al Hira cave overlooking the Ka3ba and that night wasn't like the other nights he spent reflecting in the cave as he did the last 2 years..

The Prophet heard a voice, a voice that wasn't familiar or normal, it was Jebreel AS (an angel sent from God).

Prophet Mohammed narrates,
Jebreel AS told me "Read" and I replied, “I do not know how to read.” The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read and I replied, “I do not know how to read.” Thereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time until I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read but again I replied, I do not know how to read (or what shall I read)?” Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me, and then released me and said what can be translated as, "Read: In the Name of your Lord Who created, Created man from clots. Read: And your Lord is The Most Honorable, Who taught by the pen. He taught man what he did not know." (TMQ, 96:1-5). Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration and with his heart beating severely.” [11]


And this was the first verse of the Holy Quran that Mohammed PBUH read although he was illetrate.. It's a miracle how he read and memorized those verses..

The Islamic preacher Amr Khaled describes the significance of this dialogue as follows:
This dialogue symbolizes mercy, love and peace. This is exactly the mission of Islam, which rejects all kinds of violence, oppression or unjust. Secondly, it was to prove to the Prophet that he was not dreaming, but rather he was awake; notice that Prophet Mohammed PBUH spent six months, prior to the revelation, dreaming of good dreams that came true, like bright day light. Thirdly, the beginning of the revelation was meant to be powerful to indicate the seriousness of Islam's mission.

Another point Amr Khaled stresses is that the first word Jebreel AS asks the Prophet PBUH is: “Iqra” which means recite.

Why did the mission of Islam start that way, although Prophet Mohammed PBUH himself was illiterate?

It indicates that the era of miracles is over. A new era of knowledge, science and planning has started by Mohammed PBUH. Nevertheless, 60% of our nation is illiterate. People are still waiting for a miracle that would turn their lives to the better. They cannot realize that that miracle would never happen unless they became true Muslims.

Such a start, with the word "Iqra" which means "recite", leaves no doubt about the truth of Islam. Islam is applicable to all ages, and this is the age of knowledge. God says what can be translated as, "Read: In the Name of your Lord Who created, Created man from clots. Read: And your Lord is The Most Honorable, Who taught by the pen. He taught man what he did not know." (TMQ, 96:1-5). He mentioned knowledge along with its tools six times in just five verses. Miracles are over. If we are to take this mission seriously, we would be the miracle.

After the Prophet saw Jebreel AS, he was very frightened. It indicates that he was not going after the prophecy.

click to listen to the first Verse of the Holy Quran:



Source:
http://www.AmrKhaled.net